Saturday, August 13, 2011

Our First Week

It has been an adventure thus far in our new life. Once we reached home it took a couple days for our stuff to arrive. During those days the family was sick with a stomach bug. It was a little lonely sitting in an empty house while the hubby and kids were sick but it made me realize how attached one can be to material things and how I should be grateful that we are all together.

We went to our first Liturgy at St. Tikhons and at first it seemed a little foreign to me. We are use to a different translation but the church was absolutely beautiful. Breathing the incense was like a breath of fresh air. As service progressed I couldn't help asking myself if we made the right decision. As soon as Liturgy was completed we were flooded by people recognizing us as a new seminarian family. Everyone was so kind and offered so many words of comfort and encouragement.

Our stuff arrived on Monday but due to the size of the truck they were unable to drive onto our road. Hubby and I began frantically looking for an alternative. We rented a truck from a Uhall that we passed by. Thanks to Rebekah's help enlisting her husband and another seminarian we were able to unload the whole truck on Monday night. We are still working on unpacking and getting the whole house together but in due time it will happen.

We are fortunate to live near another semaniaran family who has been over to introduce themselves and bring us goodies. They have been so nice to offer words of encouragement to us and help us with any questions we have about the area.

Last night we attended Vigil where we were able to experience our first services including a Bishop, and not only one Bishop but two. The Kursk Root Icon was also visiting. Hubby posted some pictures on his blog. I spent most of the time outside with the little ones but was kept company by other seminarians wives and little ones.

So far the adjustment is going well. Everyone is so friendly and it seems as though life long friendships will be made here. I still have moments of fear and doubt but are often dissipated by the sense of community here.


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're adjusting well! It takes time. You're going to love fall. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just caught up with your new blog :)

    I'm glad that you are all adjusting well. We visited St Tikhon's last summer. The location is beautiful. I hope you all are enjoying yourselves. I look forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete